Multiple Intelligences took the test - well it did not surprise me I am interpersonal, intrapersonal and logical. How does this impact my learning, well I really am not a fan of flex learning. I like to have a lecturer in front of me, sit down and talk and understand what is being put across. I like to see the big picture and then digest to the smaller parts. As I am not always available for the collaborate sessions and listen to them later it becomes frustrating. The multiple intelligences used in the classroom is a useful tool. It allows for me to negotiate the way I teach and learn best and how I pass that information on to the students that is most beneficial for all parties. There are just so many ways to pass on information it is finding the ones that best suit my style and the students to make the classroom and engaging learning environment.
Prensky - Engage or enrage "In school they must eat what they are served"
How powerful is that statement in todays school. Do we have to keep students in a classroom that do not want to learn? Why do we keep trying to engage these students in learning about something they do not want? There are some students that need more than sitting at desk, computer or where ever and need something more hands on. I was very fortunate in a high school that I went to in the 80's was designed for the students that did not want to sit in the class. There was woodwork, sheet metal, mechanical, how to fix your car, how to drive your car, how to tend animals (farm and domestic). The rate of males in these classes was there were only 2 females on average for 10 boys. But the boys turned up to class and enjoyed. yes they still did maths and english but not to the extent that someone who wanted to go to uni did. There was not a lot of absenteeism also, this school actually engaged!
So to stop the rage and engage the students of today need something that is computer based with learning and what is fun. As Prensky states ' depends much less on what they see than on what they do and learn," so for this to work we need classrooms that have laptops in primary school and have the internet. Lets stop talking about it and how about the governments doing something about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment